Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Life-changing trip to Ecuador

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I believe that many of my readers want to learn languages for travel. I think it is definitely a great reason. And I'm sure that we all agree that before you go, if you can learn just enough to communicate at least on a superficial level with the local people, you will likely come home with much more than just photos of monuments and museums.

In my case, I tried to cram in as much Spanish as I could for about one month before going to Ecuado, where my best buddy Greg was doing a 1-year exchange program with AFS. I learned just enough using methods described previously, and was able to have, as mentioned above, a superficial conversation with the locals. And what did I come home with after a 2-week vacation visiting Greg, staying with his host family? A life-changing experience.

So how did this trip change my life? (Other than picking up the wonderful Spanish language, of course.)

1) I gained a loving and caring family in Ecuador.

In this picture taken in Banos is Pilar, the beautiful mother of 4, two of which are in the photo, Andrea (the cute little 8 year-old in front of me), and Valeria (the preciosa in the arms of Pilar). The dude in the middle is Greg. Not in the photo are many many more who have touched my life in significant ways: Vicente (the father), Pancho (the son), Silvia "la Gorda" (the aunt), Monica (the beautiful cousin), and many other extended family and all of Greg's Ecuadorian and international friends. They have all welcomed me with wide open arms and made absolutely sure that I enjoyed every minute of my stay. Mission well accomplished! I will also forever be in debt to the Granja family for that time I got serious food poisoning (serves me right to eat oyster ceviche in Quito!) and Vicente and Pilar went out to get medicine for me... in the middle of the night! Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

2) I saw beautiful places in Ecuador accompanied by wonderful people.

Here I am with Andrea at "La Mitad Del Mundo", literally at "The Half Point of the World". Running right under us is supposedly the equator (which by the way is what "Ecuador" means in Spanish), so we had our left foot in the northern hemisphere and our right foot in the the southern hemisphere. How cool is that!

Other places we visited were various places in Quito (including the famous Virgen de Quito (or El Panecillo)), Riobamba, Banos (previous photo), and a beautiful costal village called Muisne in the province of Esmeraldas. The photo below is where we stayed.
In my life, I've stayed in some pretty fancy and expensive hotels around the world, most of which I have no recollection now. But I vividly remember this place, which cost me half the price of Big Mac in the US. Clearly, there is no direct correlation between good times and the price of the hotel. I truly believe it is the people you're with. In this photo are: Greg, Annick, Hitomi, and the legs of... hmmm, Yannic? Jerome?

3) I gained a tremendous appreciation for my own life and learned about important values.

In the following photo that I took from the back seats of family's old Peugeot, you see children living in the streets.
Every time you stop at a red light in Quito, a few of them will come up to beg for money. It just broke my heart every time I saw children like that, and at the same time, they made me realize what a privileged life I was living.

But wait, there's more to be learned. These children, who had essentially nothing, no money, no education, were able to teach me other humbling lessons in life, including family values, empathy, sacrifice, sharing, etc.

One day we were in this fancy little ice cream parlor, nothing from out of this planet, but clearly out of reach for the average Ecuadorian. As it happens often, a little poor kid, must've been 4 or 5 years old, comes in to beg for food or money. Then the waitress, who herself was in her early teens and most likely also from a poor family, had to come out to shew the little boy away from us, the almighty customers. But she knew this boy had probably not eaten for the past 3 days, so while she was pushing the kid out the door, she discretely slipped an ice cream cone (just the cone) to the kid. I think she could have gotten into quite a lot of trouble if her boss found out about her actions. But what a kind and selfless act. And she didn't even know that I was watching. Or at least, she probably was hoping the customers weren't watching.

But wait, there's more to be learned. A lesson from the little boy. If you hadn't eaten for 3 days, what would you have done with the cone? Devour it, right? Not this little boy. He took the cone and just ran straight towards a big tree on the sidewalk. Under it was sitting mom and little sis, probably 2 years old. He hands mom the cone intact, and mom breaks it into pieces. A measly little ice cream cone divided into portions for a family to feed on. Talk about sacrifice, talk about sharing, talk about family love. That scene was to be forever carved into my memory.

So there you go. The trip to Ecuador, which not only served as the trigger and integral part in allowing me to learn Spanish, but also gave me treasures to keep for life, including great memories, life lessons, and of course, wonderful human connections. I feel extremely fortunate to still be in touch with many them (God bless Facebook) and greatly enjoy the occasional emails and chats. I love you all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
 
Powered By Blogger
Creative Commons License